I have been treating clients with low back pain both golfers and non-golfers for close to 15 years.
One of the biggest issues that I run into is fear around loading and stressing the low back
We know that when done strategically and intelligently loading the back is one of the best things someone with low back pain can do.
Today i want to share some of my favorite exercises for doing this.
First, I am going to add a few disclaimers:
- MAKE SURE YOU ARE CLEARED BY YOUR MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL BEFORE STARTING THESE
- START WITH BODYWEIGHT AND STAY IN A COMFORTABLE RANGE OF MOTION
- SLOWLY PROGRESS RANGE OF MOTION AND WEIGHT AS TOLERATED
- DON'T FORCE ANY MOVEMENT OR RANGE THAT IS TOO PAINFUL
- DON'T FORCE ANYTHING THAT CREATES PAIN IN YOUR LEGS, NUMBBESS/TINGLING, SHOOTING OR SHARP PAINS
Ok now let's get to the exercises. The basis of this is loading the back and trunk in all the planes of motion:
Flexion, Extension, Side bending, Rotation
These movements will cover all of these bases
Loading Flexion (Jefferson curl) https://youtu.be/rKw_VZm4-XMLoaded Side bendinghttps://youtu.be/4ETRn5UeuOchttps://youtu.be/5BRK_IwzJtcLoaded Extensionhttps://youtu.be/dUYkiAwETi0Loaded rotationshttps://youtu.be/4TlpKk5zyP0Mobility (side bend with rotation seated)https://youtu.be/s52ext_vzi0
Let me know how they work for you or reach out with questions email@example.com
Get Strong. Hit Bombs. Play Forever.
Dr. JP Guidry DPT TPI